About This Project
San Diego Gas and Electric
Sector: Energy and Technology
Member Since: 2009
San Diego Gas and Electric (SDG&E) is a regulated investor-owned utility that provides safe and reliable energy service to 3.4 million consumers in San Diego and southern Orange counties. At SDG&E, the story of innovation runs deep. The utility has innovated to:
- Reach 33 percent renewable power in 2015, five years ahead of the state’s 2020 deadline
- Eliminate all coal power contracts
- Become the only energy utility to win two EPA Climate Leadership Awards
- Provide customers with aggressive energy efficiency programs that over 10 years have reduced peak energy use by the equivalent of one giant power plant
- Build a grid that can support increasing amounts of rooftop solar energy and keep the lights on at 6:00 pm when rooftop solar isn’t producing power
- Encourage people to drive electric vehicles and begin putting a dent in 40 percent of the state’s carbon emissions that come from transportation
SDG&E has had a proven commitment to energy efficiency, creating ways to help customers save energy and money every day. SDG&E has spent over $1 billion in programs, rebates, and incentives to encourage consumers, businesses, and local governments to implement energy efficiency programs, reduce energy costs, lower GHG emissions, and draft climate action plans. Its Smart Grid and Clean Transportation initiatives have enabled new technologies that advance clean tech innovation and in San Diego County.
Through its philanthropy in the San Diego community, SDG&E annually supports approximately 600 nonprofit organizations that support the regional innovation economy, the environmental stewards of tomorrow through environmental education programs, and the innovators of tomorrow through support for K-12 science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) programs, and college preparatory and mentoring programs.
Energy and Technology